Thursday, June 5, 2008

9 Principles

"Who Moved the Cheese?"  I remember many years ago when the school was just beginning the process of school improvement and we were trying to implement a plan that was much different than before we watch this video.  Change is tough.  It would be nice if it just happen smoothly however we have to remember the struggle is part of the process.  The following quote did remind me of some concern that I have pondered here at the high school for some time:

"Any significant educational transformation creates "people issues."

I have great concern for our staff.  The author talks a lot about camaraderie, team work and putting people first.  So often we have little opportunity in the working day to personally interact with our fellow workers.  Many feel like they are on an island by themselves.  It is easy in education to put large effort into the students and forget about the needs of the staff.  A counselor explained it to me one day with this:  "Who's taking care of the caregiver?"  We tend to forget about taking care of our own selves and fellow staff members.  This change is going to be stressful for all.  What are we doing to ensure the mental health of all.  It is easy to get caught up in all this new technology and new way of teaching.  It can easily be addictive and consume a person.  I would pose this question to our school leaders and my fellow peers:  What can we do for each other and what strategies can we put in place to make sure we keep our sanity?  More importantly, does anybody care?  I certainly hope so.  This is about people.  

3 comments:

Brian said...

I definitely agree with you; I think that not only do we need to worry about technical support for the computers, but psychological support for each other as we go through what is sure to be an exciting and engaging, but also frustrating and confusing time at parts.

Kaye Appleby said...

I remember the book about Who moved my Cheese? We've been here for too long.

Katie Morrow said...

What a great blog post, Tammy! You displaying the empathy that we need to teach our students. And I think you have numerous valid, important points. As you see potential solutions to this problem for OPS please share them and remind us all how important THIS aspect of education is as well. I know I need reminders every once in awhile, myself!